Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Little By Little May Be My Undoing

Mom sent me a coupon for World Market, and I used it, spending $29 and saving $19 on two large orange vase/votive-things and a string of 35 mini lanterns with all the hardware.  While checking out, I signed up for their rewards program thingy, and they will continue sending me coupons.  This could get dangerous.

The other day I found some other great things at Goodwill - a beautiful aqua votive, some smaller aqua tealight votives, and two unused orange candles plus vintage plates to put them on, all for $10.  The savings are intoxicating, but that puts my total wedding spending at $39 this week alone. 

Making the decision not to have identical tablescapes has been liberating; it gives me the freedom to pick what I want where I can.  But the odd things I've purchased so far still don't fit into any scheme - no matter how loose my definition of 'scheme' is - and I wonder if I'll just end up with closets full of orange- and blue-colored things that I don't end up using.  The space (crossing fingers!) is versatile enough that I think I can find places for a variety of things.  In the bathroom, for example!  On the bar!  On little side tables, at the front entrance, on a random counter that just happens to be there.  But to what end? 

Also, our preferred wedding date is over a year away.  The things I'm buying now will literally just take up space until then. 

I have no idea if I'll look back and think, "Why the hell did I buy all that stuff?  I didn't use half of it - what a waste of money."  I could look back and think, "Thank goodness I bought all that stuff when I did, because now I'm putting my money towards bigger wedding expenses/the orange stuff this season isn't what I want at all/I lost my job and I'm poor as shit."  Who knows these things?

I tell myself that I'm being good.  I don't scoop up every single thing that is made of aqua glass, because then I'd be the proud owner of a glass basket (what) that I saw at Goodwill the other day, and that is just dumb.  I'm looking for specific shades and sizes and materials, and I don't put anything in my basket on a whim.  Also I refuse to pay full price for anything.  This is immensely emotionally satisfying and makes me feel successful at planning a wedding that my guests and I will find lovely.  But I'm not sure, at this moment, that it's the best tactic.

No comments:

Post a Comment