It feels like everything's on hold. I can research caterers and photographers and anything I want until my eyes explode, but we can't make any more decisions until we nail down the date with the Theater Off Jackson, and they can't help us - at least not for now. They're negotiating the renewal of their lease, and until that gets signed, our contract won't be signed, either.
They seem optimistic that we can get a date in August 2012, and they seem eager to work with us. In the meantime, Mr. Fiance has suggested - very practically - that we look at other venues so as not to put all of our eggs in one basket. I agree with him, but it's not like our initial search was just our top 4 from hundreds of possible spaces - we have a budget, and we have a huge number of people, and there just aren't that many places to choose from that accommodate both. Plus, I've spent HOURS with Microsoft Publisher trying to figure out how to fit the maximum number of guests into the layout, and I've finally found a plan that seats 120 comfortably, with room to walk and dance. How can I walk away from all of that work and start over?
Maybe it should be HIS job to look for venues while I worry about more important things, like decorations?
I found delightful inspiration for tablescapes from this picture, and as with everything else wedding-related, I've spent some time trying to figure out how I can achieve the same idea for cheaper. I love the idea of little oranges, but they'll be out of season, so I need summer-appropriate, local fruit that will be cheap and fit into the color scheme. I'm not sure what to do about flowers, but I like the orange-in-blue idea. And sure, I could get matching containers, but wouldn't a mix of thrifty finds be more interesting? Also, Mr. Fiance likes the soda bottle idea, and I love the little blue and orange votives - although I would like them more if they were gilded.
The goal: shallow, long containers filled with orange flowers, seasonal orange-colored fruit, and moss or some other filler; orange soda bottles; blue and orange candle votives
The solution: For the containers, I've started scouring Goodwill and TJ Maxx (My kingdom for a HomeGoods in Seattle!). Both of these places are most well-known for affordable clothing, but they also carry a large selection of home items and decorations. I found a surprisingly nice aqua-colored oval glass bowl that is very pretty at Goodwill last week for about $4, and TJ Maxx had some orange jugs in clearance for $5.50, so I got two and will tie some blue ribbon around the top to make them more festive. I love an excuse to window shop, so if I go back when I can - a few times a month - I'll probably find some really interesting items every time I go. This helps me spread the cost out over a long period of time.
The flowers are tricky. I have entertained going to Pike Place Market to get flowers without really caring what color they are, but I have friends who know about wholesale options. I don't like the look of silk flowers, but I really like wooden flowers, so those might work. I can use fake moss, or that green foam stuff. This is something that I'll have to figure out closer to the date, but needless to say, I will not be paying a florist to arrange centerpieces.
The internet tells me that apricots, peaches and nectarines will be in season here in Washington, and I can probably find those fruits in orange-enough shades to satisfy me.
Personalized soda bottles - like personalized anything - will cost $texas, and I don't really care if they say "Mr. & Mrs. Whatever". Thomas Kemper Orange Soda already has an orange label, so I could just set these out on the tables or in buckets of ice for easy, decorative refreshment. I could even make my own stickers or paint the cartons they come in if I really felt motivated. Plus this gives me an excuse to have my signature cocktail involve orange cream soda in some way. SCORE.
The votives are tricky. I love the idea of gilded votives like these, but at $4.95 a pop plus tax and shipping, they'll add up quickly if I want my tables littered with them.... which I do. These are a cheaper alternative, and if I find myself with a lot of free time and some gold leaf on hand, I found this tutorial on how to put gold on stuff your own damn self. I could also just tie ribbon or twine around them and call it a day.
Since I've already got a few vases at home and some flowers from Mr. Fiance that are on the verge of death, maybe I'll do a mockup of what this concept would look like?
No comments:
Post a Comment