Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Doctored jelly from a can

Will there ever be a Why You Should Quit Your Job Part 3?  Who knows?  I've been busy with working at the New Job, and I really like it, and I'm not sure I have the energy to think back to the old one right now.  Maybe later.

Seattle is in the grips of Snowpocalypse 2k10 and I've been home all day, packing for my upcoming move to the Eastside.  Moving In With the BF is also an event worth capital letters, but I'm concerned less with the emotions behind that and more with the sheer number of boxes crowding my current apartment.  It's not just the boxes of STUFF, it's the boxes of breakable/decorative mess that can't really go in the back of a U-Haul, lest it all shatter.  "It'll just go in the backseat of the car" is what I'm thinking about 10 boxes and several paintings and a samurai sword.  We'll see if it works out.

But talking about boxes is boring.  Instead, let me tell you about what unholiness I will be unleashing upon the BF's family for Thanksgiving.  I volunteered to bring fruit and veg (their dinner last year was lacking in these departments) in the form of cranberry sauce and green bean casserole.  The casserole is a family recipe full of cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions, but for the cranberry sauce, I wanted to get creative with it.

I decided to make a pear and cranberry sauce, figuring that would be Food Networky enough to impress but easy enough that it wouldn't severely interfere with my packing schedule.  I got most of the ingredients this past weekend, knowing that the snow would make grocery stores harder to get to, and today I set about making everything.  I chopped pears and boiled them with a bit of water and honey, plus cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and huge chunks of ginger for flavor.

However, instead of getting fresh or frozen cranberries, I got canned sauce.  Whoops.  So now I have honey-ginger-cinnamon-nutmeg-allspice-infused cranberry jelly.  Hot damn!  Nothing says classy like doctored food from a can.  I hope it tastes okay.

Off to watch Fargo with the Roommate and the Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment